Sorry it has been a bit, I finally got to a point in my recovery that I was able to head back to Missouri, fix my apartment (boyfriend + 6 months alone in my apartment= disaster), and now finally start this food challenge!
So to kick it off, I wanted to start easy and Kale fit the bill. Kale is a super food with plenty of antioxidants, vitamins, and fiber so stock up!
This was my first Kale recipe and I got it from Diethood blog. This was my inspiration, but if you haven’t learned by now, I kinda make up my own as I go…so here is what I ended up doing. And it came out to be AMAZING!
You will need:
Gluten Free Pasta
Chicken Breasts, defrosted
Pasta Sauce of your choice
1) Start by filling a large pot with water. Place it on the burner over high heat until boiling. Add a pinch of salt to the water to help keep pasta from sticking together.
2) While waiting for the water to boil, dice chicken into bite-size pieces.
3) Then place olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and add chicken. Season with Salt, pepper, and garlic until cooked through and slightly browned.
4) Your water should be boiling by now, so add the pasta and return to a boil. Be careful to watch for overflow and stir occasionally. Cook according to package.
5) While Pasta and Chicken cook, place a few handfuls of kale into a colander. Rinse it and shake off the excess water.
6) Add a drizzle of olive oil and salt over the top of the kale and begin to massage the leaves. You heard me, massage the kale! This will help soften the kale and it will turn darker and you will feel a softer texture.
7) Check on both the pasta and chicken.
8) Dice tomatoes and remove any extraordinarily large stems from the kale pieces.
9) The pasta should be done now. Remove from heat and pour pasta and water through the colander. Let it drain.
10) Then spray with a quick shot of cold water and drain again. This will help the pasta from sticking to each other, which happens a lot with GF pasta.
11) Chicken should be done by now, so remove from heat.
12) Add pasta back to empty pot and toss in the cooked chicken, the massaged kale, the diced tomatoes, and the Feta crumbles. I also seasoned with a bit more salt, pepper, garlic, and added a teaspoon of rosemary to the mix.
13) Stir and cover. Place on burner on simmer. The idea is to get the juices flowing and the flavors mixing! This will only take a few minute.
14) Grab your pasta sauce, put it in a small pot, and warm up over medium-low heat.
15) Give both a few minutes to heat up, stirring te sauce occasionally.
16) After about 5 minutes, remove both from heat and serve hot.
17) Plate pasta and pour on some pasta sauce and enjoy.
That’s it! It’s super simple but the tastes are very complex and fulfilling!
Definitely a worthwhile dish and a great fist introduction to kale!
Check out the salad I made with it in the next Kale post!