This recipe was fabulous! OMG some of the best soup I have had in a while!
My inspiration was from Best Recipe Box. This recipe is very good for full-out cooking…which is great, if I had the time or the patience haha! Mostly, I did not have all the fresh versions of the ingredients, so I worked with what I had, and changed it up a bit, as usual.
You will need:
GF chicken stock (making your own is easy, just boil the chicken to cook it; but I was lazy so I used the Progresso GF unsalted version)
chicken breasts (I used about 4)
baby carrots (because they are already peeled and I just had to cut them into smaller pieces)
crushed red pepper flakes (about 1/4 tsp for flavor, it won’t be spicy)
chili powder seasoning
GF soy sauce
1) Dice an onion. Add to a skillet with olive oil and cook over medium-high heat until translucent.
2) Dice the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Add diced chicken to skillet with cooked onions. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic. Cover with the lid and stir occasionally until chicken is cooked through and starting to brown.
3) Meanwhile, add chicken broth to a large pot. I used the entire box because I made a large batch. Turn heat to medium-low to get it going.
4) Cut carrots into bite-size pieces. Add to stock.
5) Wash a few handfuls of kale in a colander. Drizzle with olive oil and salt and then massage it into the kale. yes, massage the kale! This will give a noticeable difference to texture and color, softening the leaves. Add Kale to stock.
6) Check on your chicken!
7) Season stock with about 1/2 tsp of all of the following: cumin, chili powder, ginger, crushed red pepper flakes, garlic.
Add about 3 -4 tsp of GF soy sauce. Add about 1/5 cup lemon juice. Salt and pepper to taste.
8) Stir all the ingredients together and cover with a lid.
9) Check on the chicken, it should be done by now. Dump all chicken, onions, and juices into the stock.
10) Stir all together and let cook on low heat for about 5 minutes so all of the flavors mix together.
11) When finished all kale will be soft, the soup will be warm, and it will smell amazing!
12) Remove from heat and serve immediately!
This soup was so good I will definitely be making more soon! I really enjoyed the very slight flavor the soy sauce and lemon juice adds to this. Very simple and very tasty!
Thanks for stopping by!